Not just a torch with a red bulb! The light functions at 660nm (wave length), healthy cells also vibrate at around this wavelength. Photonic therapy works because the body’s tissue can absorb this type of light at a cellular level, converting it to cellular energy (known as ATP – adenosine triphosphate). Many studies have shown that this energy accelerates activity in the mitochondria (the part of the cell that generates protein, collagen, and healing materials) as well as improving blood flow in the area being treated, speeding healing and minimizing pain.
Increased ATP production allows damaged cells to accept nutrients more quickly and to eliminate toxins. If administered quickly enough, it can prevent cellular death. This process allows the body to heal itself by reducing/eliminating pain and inflammation, while increasing circulation. It also excites the collagen within the damaged tissue, and allows the body to heal itself faster.
9 Ways Red Light Therapy Improves Healing
1. Reduces pain by increasing production of endorphins – a natural pain killer.
2. Reduces inflammation by suppressing enzymes that create swelling, redness, and pain.
3. Boosts the release of anti-inflammatory enzymes to reduce swelling quickly.
4. Increases cellular regeneration and healing by stimulating the mitochondria within the cell. This increases the production of ATP which causes damaged cells to accept nutrients and eliminate toxins faster.
5. Increases lymphatic drainage and circulation.
6. Relaxes tight muscles and quickly releases muscle cramps
7.Strengthens anti-viral properties by increasing antibody production in the bloodstream.
8. Improves structure of tendons, bones, skin, teeth, and cartilage by increasing Collagen production.
9. Stimulates a strong heart beat by regulating serotonin levels. Serotonin helps to regulate inflammation and allergic reactions and plays an important role in blood clotting, stimulating a strong heart beat, initiating sleep, and fighting depression. It also stimulates the smooth muscle in the intestinal wall helping it to contract
The brain receives signals to release endorphins (natural pain killers) and serotonin into the body. This chain reaction:
- Reduces pain and swelling
- Increases lymphatic activity
- Strengthens the immune system
- Accelerates cell regeneration
- Increases circulation
- Relaxes muscles
- Increases anti-viral properties
- Encourages collagen production
- Regulates serotonin levels
The red light can also be used to stimulate just about any acupressure point on the horse and although cannot stimulate as deep as acupuncture it has been shown to be more effective than acupressure. Thus can be utilised to improve numerous conditions, including:
- hoof abscesses
- navicular and laminitis-associated pain
- arthritic joints
- sacro-iliac pain
- respiratory conditions